Dental hygienists are specially trained to give advice on preventative dental care and oral hygiene advice. They work closely with the dentist by providing thorough scales and polishes to help remove any plaque or calculus build up on your teeth, which is left untreated can lead to gum disease and in the long run if left untreated even tooth loss.
Regular scalings with the hygienist will help to keep your mouth and gums healthy, ensuring that you keep your natural teeth for as long as possible. The hygienist will also be able to devise a personalised oral hygiene plan for you to continue at home in between visits and will advise on the oral hygiene products best suited to your individual needs. They will also give focused advice on the care of implants, caring for your teeth while undergoing orthodontic (teeth straightening) treatment and may also advise on diet and lifestyle factors.
There are a number of benefits to seeing the hygienist and these include:s which may affect the condition of your teeth and gums including smoking which can increase your risk of gum disease and staining.
- Demonstrations on effective tooth brushing techniques to remove plaque without causing tooth wear and receding gums.
- Discussions on the latest oral hygiene products.
- Advice on the best aid to clean in-between teeth
- Detailed explanation of periodontal disease.
- Removal of plaque and hard calculus deposits.
- Discussion on the secondary factors that cause periodontal disease, for example smoking and diabetes.
- Advice on fluoride and apply fluoride varnishes to help remineralise early signs of tooth caries.
- Polishing the teeth to remove food and drink stain
- Tooth Whitening
In between visits to the hygienist it is important to ensure that you follow a good oral hygiene routine. There are three simple steps to ensure that your teeth stay in tip top condition.
- Brush your teeth for two minutes, prior to bed and at at least one other time during the day, using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Use interdental products to clean in between your teeth to reach those areas where brushing misses.
- Cut down on how often you have sugary foods and drinks. Ideally limiting them to mealtimes to reduce the number of sugar attacks your teeth have every day.
If you are concerned by staining on your teeth, here at Leigh Dental Centre we are able to
offer the latest Air polishing treatment. Air polishing is a very effective and painless way of rapidly removing stains from your teeth to return your brilliant smile.
Over time your teeth can become dull due to the foods that we eat and drink on a daily basis such as tea, coffee, red wine and curry. Our hygienist using the revolutionary air-polishing system could help remove those unsightly stains
A new regulation passed by the General Dental Council (GDC) now means if you are concerned about stains on your teeth you can directly arrange an appointment with our hygienist without seeing the dentist first.
So why not find out what our hygienist can do to help you improve your smile. Call Leigh Dental Centre today on 01702 472929 to book a consultation.
Contact us to make an appointment
Time for you perfect smile?
Book your consultation today
When visiting our practice you know you are visiting the dental professionals trained to the highest standards. You are greeted by our welcoming staff, who share the same aim, to make your visit with us as comfortable and stress free as possible.