Here at Leigh Dental Centre, dentist in Leigh-on-sea, Southend, we believe that healthy teeth and gums can provide a cornerstone to our patients’ overall health.
Routine dental appointments are usually carried out every six months, but how often you need to attend these appointments varies from patient to patient. Some patients may require more frequent visits, while others may need to come into the practice less often – your dentist will advise you on how often you need a regular check-up.
Every time you attend for a routine dental examination the dentist will:
- Assess the health of your teeth and gums, looking for areas of gum disease, tooth decay, acid erosion and toothbrush abrasion.
- Take x-rays to assess those areas not visible to the naked eye, such as tooth roots, surfaces between teeth and bone levels in your jaw.
- Scale and polish your teeth to remove any plaque or calculus build up which can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Offer advice on lifestyle factors which may be having a detrimental effect on your oral health
- Provide oral hygiene instruction to help you keep your teeth looking their best in between visits
- Cut costs – routine dental appointments help you to save money in the long term, by ensuring that any problems are identified early and treated quickly. Reducing the need for extensive dental treatment.
- Prevent Cavities and Tooth loss – removing plaque and calculus with regular cleanings can help reduce the risk of developing tooth decay and can help to keep gum disease under control.
- Boost your overall health – By ensuring you look after your oral health you can help lower your risk of developing some conditions such as heart disease and stroke.