Root canal treatment is required when the pulp inside your tooth becomes infected because of tooth decay or injury. The infection can spread through the root canal system and could lead to an abscess which can cause extreme discomfort.
Root canal treatment is a skilled and time consuming procedure and will normally require you to attend for two or more visits to ensure a successful outcome.
Root canal treatment involves the following:
1. A local aesthetic will be given to ensure that you do not experience and pain during treatment
2. The tooth will be opened to access the root canal system
3. The root canal system will be thoroughly cleaned to remove infection
4. The root canal system will be filled and temporarily sealed
5. Once the tooth has settled the tooth will be permenantly filled and crowned
Root canal treatment is normally very successful. However, if the infection comes back, the treatment can sometimes be repeated.
If root canal treatment is not completed the infection will spread and it is likely that the tooth will need to be extracted.
- Root canal treatment is less painful than having the tooth extracted – root canal treatment allows you to maintain your natural teeth for as long as possible, with less discomfort during recovery that if you have the tooth extracted.
- Root canal treatment is more visually appealing than a missing tooth – once crowned the tooth will look, feel and function like a natural tooth. Improving the appearance of your smile.
- Root canal treatment is cost effective – root canal treatment can be more cost effective than having the tooth extracted and then having to have a denture, bridge or dental implant.