Bad breath is a very common problem with a variety of different causes.
Causes of bad breath include:
- Poor oral hygiene – bacteria on teeth and gums can release smelly gases as can food trapped between teeth.
- Medical conditions – there are a variety of medical conditions such as dry mouth, sinusitis, infections in the throat, nose or lungs, diabetes or liver and kidney problems.
- Consuming strong foods – foods such as garlic, onions and coffee
- Smoking – tobacco causes its own type of bad breath
Most bad breath can be improved with good oral hygiene in the first instance:
- Brush teeth twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste
- Use interdental cleaning aids to clean between teeth daily
- Use an anti-bacterial mouthwash
- Limit sugary foods and drinks to meal times
- Chew sugar free chewing gum to help prevent your mouth drying out
If you are still experiencing bad breath, book an appointment with the dentist or hygienist so that they can investigate the problem further. Depending on the cause of your bad breath, your dentist or hygienist will be able to advise you on the best course of treatment.